Saturday, October 31, 2009

I have a feeling I'm not in Kansas anymore

For news of the Braun Family in Ecuador, you'll need to contact someone else. I'm on the other side of the world in Basra, preparing to conduct orientation training for Save's newly hired staff.

The program I helped start up in 2003 closed in 2006 because of the difficult security situation. Now Basra is calmer (it's all relative) and we're off again, launching programs focused on children's education and their protection from harm.

Here I am dressed to go by car (in the back seat, of course) to the "supermarket" to buy some food for the week. We women live in a house adjacent to the office building/men's quarters. It's all in one relatively small compound, and since I'm headed to bed, I'm in "lock down" in a "safe room" on a "safe floor" in a "safe house." You should see the number of bolts we have to close before going to bed - it's a work-out. Don't I look safe in my little room?



-Spee

No comments:

Post a Comment